Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Chat

Welcome
Welcome to the Vee-Hive forum

You are invited to register here

Post subject: Re: [bug?]scrollbar not scrolling
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 am 
Vee-Hive Author and King Bee!

Have thanks: 6 time
The scroll-wheel is a little different, is it not? I've seen some apps where the scroll-wheel operates on the control that the mouse is over and others where it operates where the focus is. What is the MS way, do you happen to know? I think it's the latter but the former is more sensible, IMHO...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:50 pm 
Stress Tester and General Guru

Have thanks: 0 time
It needs both and depends on the libs you are using (if your lib derives from the winapi or not)
The default is that the window needs the focus AND the mouse pointer needs to hover within the window metrics (including the scrollbar/scrollbar is actualy part of the window offcourse) thats typical winapi behaviour.

This function is used by the sliding function found on trackpads too.

An exception is the mousewheel pressed dragging to pan and sweep function, then its window only needs the focus, the mouse can go outside the window metrics.

Thats the "bug" VH has now in the libtree. The libtree window should get the focus once the scrollbar is clicked, as you actualy click the window within its metrics then all toys will work as expected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 pm 

OK, thanks for the info. Actually, I noticed that the focus only has to be on the control (regardless of where the mouse pointer is) for the WM_ messages relating to the mouse-wheel to be sent to that control. This is what the SDK says too. From what I can gather, developers break that behaviour to produce the results that you describe. Frankly I can't be arsed as I don't think it's a big deal.

So, anyway, I've un-done the change to the Browser scrollbar so that it is consistent with the tree-view.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 pm 
Stress Tester and General Guru

Have thanks: 0 time
Honestly, i expected you to include the function on both scrollbars.
As without, the application is kinda amputated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm 

Amputated? How so? It has taken three years to realise that my program is crippled by it's current behaviour!

Perhaps I do not appreciate what is lacking by not having it behave the way that you propose? What is gained by giving a control focus when the mouse is clicked on its scrollbar? And if you can think of an answer, then please consider what, also, is lost by doing so...

i.e. Would you click on a scrollbar in order that you can subsequently use the keyboard on that control? No. You'd either tab to the control or click on it's much larger client area.

Would you click on a scrollbar so that you could use the mousewheel on that control? And if so you're on the scrollbar for heavens sake. Why not scroll that?

If I'm missing something, then please, make me understand! Perhaps I'm being dumb?

Board index » Vee-Hive » Private Chat » Bugs